COLUMBUS, Ohio – Agriculture experts with the College of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences at The Ohio State University will offer three agricultural lending seminars designed to offer participants insight into agricultural law and economics.
The seminars were created to offer agricultural lenders, Farm Service Agency personnel and others insight on current economic forces affecting farming, said Bruce Clevenger, an Ohio State University Extension educator. OSU Extension is the statewide outreach arm of the college.
“The topics offered in the seminars were all chosen to provide participants the most up-to-date information on the current state of the agriculture economy with a goal in mind of how they can best serve their farm clientele,” he said.
The seminars, which each run from 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m., are:
- Oct. 26 in the Champaign County Community Center Auditorium, 1512 S. US Highway 68, Urbana, Ohio.
- Nov. 2 at the Putnam County Educational Service Center, 124 Putnam Parkway, Ottawa, Ohio.
- Nov. 3 in the Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center’s Fisher Auditorium, 1680 Madison Ave., Wooster, Ohio.
Topics for the program will include land values, cash rents, crop input costs and potential crop profitability in 2016 and current agricultural law topics such as lease enforceability and termination and nuisance laws, Clevenger said.
In addition, the Nov. 2 seminar will feature:
- Agriculture fertilizer regulations and manure utilization technology.
- Crop insurance tools in the 2014 Farm Bill.
- Swine contract buildings.
- Swine industry update.
The Nov. 3 seminar will offer information on:
- Farm bill Agricultural Risk Coverage and Price Loss Coverage programs and crop insurance options.
- Farm tax update.
- Dairy production update: Controlling input costs.
- Hops production and start-up costs.
- Nutrient management update.
- Poultry industry update: Contracts and concerns.
Registration for the seminar is $65, with a deadline of one week before the seminar. However, organizers will allow on-site registration. A registration form can be found at go.osu.edu/aglend. For more information, contact Clevenger at firstname.lastname@example.org or 419-782-4771.