First Run Friday: Leadership and Empathy Online
As a leader, empathy is an important trait to develop to be successful. Research at the Center for Creative Leadership indicates, “empathy is a construct that is fundamental to leadership. Many leadership theories suggest the ability to have and display empathy is an important part of leadership.” In these challenging times, showing empathy is vital in helping teams and organizations be productive.
According to Tim Cook, Apple CEO, “Measure your impact in humanity, not in the likes, but the lives you touch; not in popularity, but in the people you serve. I found that my life got bigger when I stopped caring about what other people thought about me. You will find yours will too. Stay focused on what really matters. There will be times when your resolve to serve humanity will be tested. Be prepared. People will try to convince you that you should keep your empathy out of your career. Don’t accept this false premise.”
Empathy allows us to lead by understanding our co-workers’ thoughts, feelings and actions.
More specifically, participants will:
- Define empathetic leadership
- Discover the importance and benefits of empathy
- Understand how positionality can change empathetic responses
- Gain tips and tools for being an empathetic leader
- Learn to foster an empathetic work culture
- Strengthen your individual empathetic capacity