Over $172,000 was raised at the Dean’s Charity Steer Show, held at the Ohio State Fair.
Local celebrities and media personalities paired with Ohio 4-H youth, along with their steers, to donate their time, raise money, and compete for bragging rights in front of a large crowd of supporters Aug. 1, in the Voinovich Livestock & Trade Center.
The show’s awards and awardees are as follows.
• Best Steer: Team McSteering All Together—with crossbred steer Mook; 4-H’er Taylor Barton of Clinton County; and the McDonald’s team of Marshela McDaniel, Dan Aloi, Melissa James, and Tara Vorst.
• Showmanship Award: Team Burrow 4 the House—with steer Joe Burrow; 4-H’er Connor Youchum of Highland County; and the NBC4 Columbus anchor team of Matt Barnes, Monica Day, McKenna King, and Kristine Varkony.
• Best Dressed: Team CosMOOpolitans—with steer Cosmo, 4-H’er Emily Scott of Portage County, along with Tammy Roberts Myers of RE/MAX Apex, Kimberly Flaherty of Washington Prime Group, and Timothy Flaherty of Post House Creative.
• People’s Choice: Team THE Buckeye Mood—with market heifer Tree Trunks, 4-H’er Delaney Moore of Fairfield County, along with Melissa Shivers of The Ohio State University, and journalist Tracy Townsend of WBNS-10TV.
• Grand Champion (lead fundraiser): Huntington Green Team—with steer Olson, 4-H’er Mason Powell of Morrow County, along with Rich Porrello and Christina Brown of Huntington, and Yolanda Harris of 10TV.
The 4-H youth who participated in the show represented the counties and Ohio 4-H youth development programs of Clinton, Darke, Defiance, Fairfield, Highland, Morrow, Portage, Seneca, Stark, and Warren.
The show was hosted by Cathann A. Kress, Ohio State vice president for agricultural administration and dean of CFAES.
The Dean’s Charity Steer Show, which has raised $571,867 to date, is coordinated by CFAES, the Telhio Credit Union, and the Ohio Cattlemen’s Association, and is held in partnership with the Ohio Expo Center & State Fair. To learn more about the show, visit deanscharitysteershow.osu.edu.