Chadwick Arboretum & Learning Gardens celebrated trees on Arbor Day, April 21, with honors, awards and dedications.
In the photo, Mary Maloney, Chadwick director, discusses Ohio State's Tree Campus USA Certification before presenting the honor to Steve Volkmann, university landscape architect and Lynn Readey, associate vice president, FOD.
Among the other awards and recognitions:
- Chadwick Arboretum Collaborator’s Award went to Norm Booth and Gail Zink for their tireless efforts in preparing designs for the Learning Gardens, Maloney said. The two worked closely with Janet Oberliesen, Maloney's predecessor, from 1994 until 2000.
- International Society of Arboriculture Certified Arborist recognition went to Kelin Wilkins.
- The Lorax Awards (for those who speak for the trees) went to Bill Johnson, Chadwick volunteer; Kathy Burkholder, Chadwick horticulturist; Wendy Bowman, Chadwick horticulturist; and Jim Vent, greenhouse coordinator.
- Recognition to Eagle Scouts Ryan Jenkins for contruction and installation of 20 bluebird nesting boxes at Chadwick Arboretum North and to Joseph Jenkins for construction and installation of two purple martin rigs at Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge.
- Chadwick Arboretum Aesculus Lifetime Achievement Award to retiring Extension horticulture educator Jim Chatfield for his work with Why Trees Matter.
- Dedication: Newly planted trees during ArboBlitz 2016.